Here at Casey ARC we are a Watch Around Water Centre. Watch around Water is an education and public awareness raising program to address the growing concern regarding supervision of young children at public swimming pools.
Children need supervision! Drowning is the leading cause of unintentional death in children under five years of age and almost half of all injuries recorded at public swimming pools involves children. Watch Around Water assists aquatic staff to promote safe supervision practices and provide a safe venue for the community to participate in sport and recreation.
The program promotes consistent supervision policies including:
If the child is under 5 years of age:
- The parent or carer needs to be within arms reach of the child at all times.
- The child will be given a yellow wrist band when casual swimming
If the child is under 10 years of age:
- The parent or carer needs to be actively supervising their child at all times.
- The child will be given a green wrist band when casual swimming.
If the child is over 10 years of age:
- The parent or carer needs to be aware of the child's swimming ability and supervise them accordingly.
All unsupervised children will be removed from the water.
During September, we are running a Watch Around Water awareness campaign. Come into Casey ARC and sign our petition showing you support watching your children around water.